A wonderful opportunity for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to help create a fun and welcoming environment for the youth (aged 7 -18) of Belsize Square Synagogue (BSS); a unique, fascinating and inspiring independent synagogue, which is neither Orthodox nor Reform and is located within this lively and bustling area of North-West London.
To lead, inspire and to connect the youth with one another. To do so by being responsible for the development and provision of social activities for the Synagogue’s children and young people. To work at all times within the Jewish ethos of BSS so as to build a sense of community within the youth of BSS to help provide an opportunity for both spiritual and social development. The Youth Leader is an integral part of BSS, to facilitate social and personal development and to build the confidence of young people and to help young people expand their religious experience. It is essential that the youth leader is highly visible within the community.
- Develop and run activities
- Work closely and look to develop our post bar and bat mitzvah teens outside of the current educational structure
- To develop and lead contact programmes for BSS youth involved in further education
- Organise and develop external trips including the annual weekend away residential camp
- To be involved in sports activities of the Synagogue
- To attend religious services, particularly on festivals where young people are involved
- Attend synagogue when there are high numbers of youth in attendance
- Attend Sunday morning Cheder (Sunday school) sessions on a regular basis to assist the Headteacher in the capacity of youth development.
- To work with external bodies as requested
- To take responsibility for marketing and market research
- To act as a pastoral professional to young people
- Develop a yearly plan with social-oriented events
- To be involved in both long- and short-term budget-setting
- To attend Youth Committee meetings and other Committees as requested
- Keep up to date and abreast of legal requirements relevant to youth
Certificate or Diploma in Full time Youth Work or equivalent
The candidate should have spent at least one year working within youth work, either professionally or as a volunteer, either pre or post qualification.
The following should be demonstrated:
- Group work ability with young people aged between 7 and 18
- Excellent communication skills
- An ability to listen and motivate
- Ability to plan and execute events
- Knowledge of the aims and values of BSS and Judaism in general
- Organisational and administrative ability
- Ability to work out of hours
- Full driving licence.
- Enhanced DBS checked
37.5 hours per week, including most weekends, some evenings and Jewish holidays.
For further information/application pack contact Lee Taylor on 020 7794 3949 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: £23,000-25,000 per annum
Closing date 8th July 2018