- This event has passed.
Kristallnacht at the Abbey
November 10, 2013 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
A Service of Solemn Remembrance and Hope on the 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht
10th November 2013 at 6:30 pm – ADDITIONAL TICKETS AVAILABLE
Westminster Abbey will hold a Service of Solemn Remembrance and Hope on the 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht on Sunday 10th November 2013 at 6.30pm.
Kristallnacht, also known as the Night of Broken Glass, was a series of coordinated attacks carried out by paramilitaries and civilians against Jews throughout Nazi Germany and parts of Austria on 9th and 10th November 1938.
The attacks left the streets covered with broken glass from the windows of Jewish-owned stores, buildings, and synagogues.
The Abbey Service will feature personal testimonies, readings and music:
- Welcome: Dean of Westminster, The Very Reverend Dr John Hall
- Choirs of Belsize Square Synagogue and West London Synagogue
- Cantor of Belsize Square Synagogue and soloist from West London Synagogue
- Testimonies of those who experienced the destruction including John Izbicki
- Reading: Ruth Rosen from Martin Gilbert’s Kristallnacht Prelude to
- Address: Rabbi Dame Julia Neuberger
- New composition by Cecilia MacDowell, performed by the Zemel choir and synagogue choirs.
Admission is free but tickets must be booked in advance. Due to unexpected demand, more tickets have been made available for this event. The view from these seats will be restricted, but those present will be able to hear and participate in the service.